The Home Secretary Teresa May attended a Maidenhead town centre exhibition today. Staff from Mode Transport Planning were on hand to answer questions as the transportation advisors to the proposed development.
The regeneration scheme will deliver a mix of housing, retail, cafes and office accommodation in the heart of Maidenhead town centre; the associated transport strategy includes:
- Retaining the current one-way road system, minimising the displacement of traffic and maintaining current access to the town centre and the Nicholsons Shopping Centre.
- Widening of the local footpaths to deliver a much improved and safer environment for pedestrian and cycles users,creating an attractive route to the town centre;
- Key pedestrianised areas and improving the public realm;
- Improved crossing facilities surrounding the site and improvements between the rail station and the town centre;
- Provision of additional bus stops and shelter locations to allow improved public transport penetration of the town centre and add additional capacity to the network; and
- Increased cycle parking provision for public use.
The application is envisaged to be submitted in the Autumn of 2014, with the scheme opening (subject to planning) in 2019.